Wednesday, August 26, 2009

ZC: Day 16 - Beware the Food Additives

The chicken wings I ate yesterday contained modified food starch--probably a light dusting to prevent the meat from dripping when defrosted, according to wikipedia. I knew about this before I ate them, but I wrote it off, thinking the amount would be too tiny to have any impact on how I feel.

As it turns out, even this small amount of starch may have been enough to mess with my feelings of hunger and satiety. This morning I felt those old, gnawing, grumbly hunger pangs. I didn't have any POTS symptoms, but I was pretty sluggish. 

I also felt inexplicably depressed. I'm not sure if this is due to the food starch. I've been bolstering my mood with sweets and other carby things for most of my life. Now that I've cut it out, I am sure my brain chemistry has some catching up to do. Running around the park with Caveboy helped.

I don't think I can afford to be wasting food, so we finished off the wings for lunch today. I will be careful not to make this mistake again though. Fresh meat tastes better anyhow.

Hunger

Well, I can't feel true hunger today. All I really feel is the urge to stuff all kinds of carbs down my throat. I'm glad for the accountability that blogging gives me because today it was a real challenge not to give up.

I didn't eat past lunch because I am afraid I will overeat. Trying to eat to hunger after getting carbed is like trying to sail on a cloudy night without a compass. Besides the chicken today, I had some cheese, mayo, and a tiny bit of cream. I am over my queasiness and I want beef tomorow. Today's total: about 1700 calories. 

Other

I haven't had heartburn for a couple days now, so I think that part of induction might be over. Here's hoping the insomnia is next to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment