Monday, August 24, 2009

ZC: Day 14 - The Two Week Mark

The time flew by faster than I thought it would. I will weigh in tomorrow morning.

Today my mom came by. She was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus last year and thankfully she has managed to keep this under control without the aid of diabetes medication. She is not a low carber, but we have been talking about primal and low carb diets for months--though it might be more accurate to say that she has generously lent a kind ear to my excited babblings. I may be an extreme introvert but I'm afraid I cannot be made to shut up when I have a special interest and a willing listener.

I gave my mom my copy of Good Calories, Bad Calories last week and have been candid about what I am doing with my diet and why. She looked me over today and was concerned over the rapid rate at which I'm losing weight, wondering if it was really due to anorexia. I told her how many calories I eat and she said, "No way!"

She still looked worried and finally she asked what I'd do if I get dangerously skinny. I told her, "That would mean that zero carb isn't good for me and I should quit. I want to be healthy, not Posh Spice." To my surprise, this answer was satisfactory. "Good! That's all I wanted to hear." I love it when my mom is happy. ^_~

I was also relieved because the Caveman and my mother are the only people in my "real life" who know about zero carb. For a few minutes I was thinking I might lose one of my ZC confidants. Blabbermouths like me need at least a couple people to blabber at.

As a side note, I do try now not to mention zero carb to anybody who doesn't need to know I'm doing it. A mere two weeks in to this way of eating and I've already seen that a polite "no, thank you" to a slice of cake is enough to get the gears and cranks of the gossip machine a turnin'. I only hope they are calling me the weirdo that I am.

On to the report.

Hunger

After that grand speech about how I'm eating a ton of food, it turned out this was my lowest calorie day yet. I didn't get hungry until about 4 pm. At that point I ate almost 900 calories of eggs, butter, and cheese. Then I got nauseated and couldn't eat for the rest of the day, although I managed to add a cup of bone broth in the late evening. Total: a little over 1000 calories.

I'm craving sweet, carby things, even in spite of the nausea. Stupid, magical carbs. They'll transform a regular stomach into a bag of holding. Or maybe a bag of devouring. There's always room for dessert, right?

That Other Stuff

I got what I wished for! This morning I felt awesome. Even while babywearing, I was able to do many chores and still feel great.

I felt poorly after eating (flu-like: sick, weak, sleepy, etc). No matter. I'm still very excited about how well things went this morning. I am hoping that I'm getting over the worst of induction now.

1 comment:

  1. I wish my parents would read GCBC but I think they would quickly use it as a coaster...not for the faint of heart. I am into this stuff and it took me quite long time to read 75% of it...yup I still haven't finished it.

    I've thought of getting them Mark Sisson's The Primal Blueprint as it's an easy read and very accessible but they don't really show interest. I am like you - I could go on and on about this stuff but the only one who will listen to me at all in my wife. I guess that is a good thing:)


    I hear you on keeping ZC to yourself. Nothing turns heads quicker than when you don't follow the crowd and do what's "normal". We went to camp with friends for a weekend and became the butt of endless jokes b/c I didn't eat the provided camp food (I use term "food" lightly) and wore my Vibrams all weekend. I am now that healthy freak. Ah well.

    Stick with the high fat - the cravings will subside. Keith Norris had a good tip - when you crave carbs, grab yourself a tablespoon EVOO or coconut oil. That will cure it toute suite. It works, I wish I would do it more though...

    ReplyDelete