Thursday, August 13, 2009

ZC: Day 3

I woke up in pretty bad shape this morning: weak, dizzy, and shaking. I had a hard time taking a shower without falling over. However, just a few bites of butter and beef and I felt worlds better. If I ever wake up feeling like that again, I will eat right away. I'd just figured I was hypoglycemic and assumed meat wouldn't help anyhow, so I didn't bother to eat for the first three hours I was awake. Apparently I needn't have suffered.

I have not had any vision loss all day, but I have had some chest pain and shortness of breath. That happened yesterday as well, though I think I forgot to record it. I don't find it concerning, just interesting enough to note. I find it curious that I am getting some symptoms that previously (to my recollection) tended to strike only when I'm uber carbed up (ETA: reading back posts, it seems I've reported this during IF as well).

I had only very, very mild brain fog after my two large meals today. It was almost more of a pleasantly full feeling. The words "pleasant" and "full" have not belonged in the same sentence for me since grade school, so this is a little exciting! Normally eating makes me feel stupid and cranky afterward. By my senior year in high school, I learned I had to fast before taking tests if I cared about doing well. If I ate I would get too foggy to perform.

Other than that, I felt decent in terms of thinking. The mild mental cloudiness that comes with interrupted/insufficient sleep feels very different from what I call brain fog. Today I was sleepy and therefore not in tip-top shape intellectually, but I never felt confused or unable to access important parts of my mind. (Brain fog truly is a frightful thing. I hate it.)

Another interesting observation: even though I feel pretty low energy, I am not at all cranky or impatient. When I'm feeling tired on carbs, I am a beast to live with. Today it was easy to be the person I want to be.

Thursdays are grocery shopping days for me. I had an easier time being around all that carby food than I thought I would. Much of it simply did not appeal. I had a brief inclination to pop a little piece of fruit in my mouth while I was preparing it for caveboy, but it wasn't hard to turn away from the notion. I have had a few "Gee, might I never eat that again?" thoughts, too. This morning while I was feeling poorly, I don't think I could have kept myself from wolfing down a bowl of cereal if one had been placed in front of me, but fortunately there are no such things in the house. Overall I'm pleased to report that what I most crave is beef!

According to FitDay, I've eaten an amazing 3000 calories today (that's rounded down, folks). I intend to have a 200-300 calorie snack soon, too. Today I got hungry for my meals about six hours apart: 9 am, 3 pm, and 9 pm. Breakfast was eggs, cheese, beef, and beef fat. Lunch was cheese, heavy whipping cream, and ground beef. Dinner/snack so far has been... uh... butter.

I'm curious to see whether or not I'll lose weight this week. My gut feeling is yes, in spite of the high calorie count. When I was eating a lot of vegetables and fruits on the typical primal way of eating, I was having to limit my daily caloric intake to about 1700 to see any weight loss. And that's with breastfeeding an infant! I'm going to be very impressed if I can eat 50% more calories on ZC and still lose.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment